Tuesday, November 21, 2006

mind over matter?

The student health center doctor (the one who refers to when she started working there as "when I still gave a shit") called. I didn't answer because I sort-of recognized the number and thought it was psycho ex-landlord.

She said my recent (last week) thyroid tests came back in and everything was in normal range.

OK, first, I don't really believe it, so I'm going now to pick them up to see for myself.

But second, it's possible. I used to have high cholesterol and now I don't because I decided not to. I changed my diet for a while and got it really far down, but my diet has always been pretty healthy overall and now I just eat more almonds and oatmeal. And it's stayed down for six years in the totally healthy range.

And when they pulled blood last week, I wasn't feeling any of that craziness I attributed to thyroid action earlier. My brain hasn't been spinning out of control, that sort of thing. Maybe the Oregon endocrinologist (and I) were right - that it cycles between hyper and hypo and normal, and it's just about when it's caught and tested.

Anyway, this could be good news. The endocrinologist here will still want to test me, and that's ok. But if it is Graves disease, it can go into remission. And I will do my best to stuff it there.

No comments: