Monday, November 27, 2006

What are you going to do when he moves in?

That's what the electrician just asked me, when I asked him how to turn off the incredibly annoying attic fan. I couldn't wait, so I just turned off all the electricity to the other part of the house. Thankfully, he hooked it up to the other guy's electricity rather than mine.

"Oh, the neighbor was there today? He must have turned off my radio."

"No, that was me. I have no tolerance for noise now - my finals begin in a week."

I left the house early today to go to the library. Unfortunately, I can't study in the library, so it was some wasted time. Which is not what I need now. But I did get my exam numbers, thanks to two classmates who reminded me.

For every exam we have to use a number only, so that everything is completely anonymous. Today was the first day to get numbers, and I need to give props to my classmates who look out for spacy-old me and guide me there.

I also got my schedule for next term, and it's basically exactly the same as this term, except that I start even later on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I don't know how I can do legal volunteering with this schedule - all my days are chopped up by classes. Sigh.

So, the neighbor showed up today. It's unfortunate that we share a whole living room wall (which is my only interior wall), which apparently has no insulation based on how loud the music came blaring through today. I know it will be different when there's furniture and all that, and he needn't put a stereo right against where I study - but I fear my silence is over. And I can't live with noise, so I'll have to move. To answer the electrician.

I just realized, just now as I type this, that my neighbor will be working out of the apartment. He's a painting conservator. Which probably means that he listens to music as he works. I am so screwed. If it's Mozart or Bach, it's ok sometimes - but anything that has words won't work for me.

On the other hand, I'm extremely quiet - I only have music on to cook, no TV - the only noise is the sound of typing and printing. Maybe he's like me.

He did come by tonight to tell me how happy he is to be moving in, and he told me about his recent divorce (I so nailed that wrong - I was sure he was gay) - a fatality of Katrina he said (though I'd figured that out before he said it). Maybe it will work out well having him next door - him being around all the time will be good for security, getting packages, etc. Together we can deal with the yippy dog and partying neighbors (though, since I told Landlady and she called their landruler, there hasn't been a peep from them), and he can handle watering the yard. He can watch my pipes from freezing while I'm gone, etc.

Well, I'll hope for the best, but if not, Ahmed and Tami may be recruited to help me move again.

No comments: