Thursday, May 25, 2006

Akiva Goldsman sucks

OK, so I saw The Da Vinci Code.

Here's what the writer of the screenplay did. Sure, he changed big things - screenplays always do. But what really PISSES ME OFF is that when the situations are the same in the book and movie, he took the main character - Sophie Neveu - and made her actions silly and passive. In the book, for example, she figured out the backwards handwriting and ciphers and anagrams. In the movie, Robert Langdon figured out THE EXACT SAME PUZZLES. In the book, Neveu is a brilliant cop. In the movie, she looks to some lame-ass Harvard symbologist for guidance in tough situations. He's her "hero." Neveu didn't NEED a hero in the book, she needed a partner, which is what Langdon was.

Why did Goldsman do this? Why?

I remember watching A Beautiful Mind (in a Jordanian hotel room) and being annoyed with Jennifer Connelly's character seeming so passive, but I figured it was based on real-life or something.

Oh no. Akiva Goldsman is a FUCKING MISOGYNIST AND I WANT TO KICK HIS SEXIST ASS.

What is his view of women? As vessels and objects.

So, if you like The Da Vinci Code for its 21st century lack of misogyny, then DON'T SEE THE MOVIE.

OK, so now I remember why I don't watch movies. Trapped there, watching this crappy sexist vitriole in the the illusion of some non-sexist film. ARGH.

And I missed L'il Cholo there, but he just called me, so we're cool.

But while watching it, I had lawyerly thoughts again. I think it'd be cool to be rich, to travel about. Shrug. Who knows what the future holds.

No comments: