Thursday, May 11, 2006

day in the life

Cal State Fullerton rejects me. "Because CSUF is now the most crowded CSU campus, we do not accept applications for post -baccalaureate studies. You can try to access classes through the Office of Extended Education. "

Yeah, yeah, whatever. So if I were a dropout rather than an overachiever, they would take me? Ergh.

So then I looked at University of Oregon, my alma mater, and they would take me back. But nonresident tuition there is almost $19,000! I don't love biology THAT much!

And I sense that the law school will reject me. I emailed the dean yesterday asking about decisions and got: "I checked your file; everything is complete. It just came back from the admissions committee. You should receive a decision in the next week.Thank you for your interest in George Mason."

See that "thank you for your interest"? That's a definitely "it's not you, it's me." Yeah, yeah, whatever. I don't really want them anyway. I just don't like to be rejected FIRST!

In 12 hours I drive to Zzyzx and my other life! Woo hoo!

Tonight was an awards assembly for kids, and it was actually neat to see the kids there like that. Several of mine were there.

But to illustrate what my school is like, let's put it like this. Out of 560 students, our "perfect attendance" went as low as "he enrolled in February and has only missed two days" and "she enrolled in October and only missed six days." (Both mine.) And the academic awards - we hooted and hollered for 3.0 GPA's - because only SIX of our kids had GPA that high.

Anyway, I committed to summer school until July 14th. It's just 3 weeks, after a week of paid training, so the $$ isn't horrible. It will just be a challenge because I'll be homeless for two weeks. I figure, if I have five friends that I can stay 2-3 nights with, I'm covered.

The strangest thing said to me, by another teacher. "I'm guessing that you were about 24 when you had your first kid?"

"Um, I don't have any kids."

"Oh, you have PLENTY OF TIME still!"

I was like, what's up with this? She says she just loves babies. Which is something, because she has two autistic children that take an incredible amount of care. I said she could have any of my unexpected offspring.

Strangest thing I said today: "Is Cuz It's in the back?" Obnoxious student Cuz It's works at a fast food place near my house. I hear SO MANY TALES of cleaning chicken grease, so when I stopped at Starbucks and saw his truck, I drove over to leave a note on his windshield to DO HIS HOMEWORK. But I saw the lights were on so I went inside to tell him.

He may be the most annoying human being on the planet that I am forced to interact with every day for two class periods, but he does have manners outside the classroom. Tried to feed me and everything.

And he will tell this story to ALL my students - which means they'll stop telling me where they work, of course.

The scariest part of this story? He wasn't in any way surprised to see me there. Everybody ELSE was, but he seemed to think it perfectly natural that his teacher stalk him at work.

Am I that crazy? No, better question. Is my insanity that evident?

1 comment:

Gummy said...

I should stalk DW. Dakeone. Or should I not? Would I be entering a realm that would be too scary to have created a product of his nature? AIyyyyyy!
*twilight zone music background*

Heh heh...

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO ZZYZX??? I love that road! Only because of the name. I've never been ON it though. AGHHH! YOu must splurge details on what is on that road - every lizard, every rock...j/k...but I've always wanted to know. We won't hit the road till about 8pm or 10pm though, as Shelton has to get over here first. =)

You can come down for Cuba Cafe...! Heh heh heh...mmmm...=)