Tuesday, May 23, 2006

words that begin with C

My friend Tiffany says all good things begin with C: Chips, cheese, and chocolate.

My doctor says the phrase "the C word" and every time I have to try to remember what she means. Not only is there potential "C word" in my uterus, but now she tells me the same about my thyroid. Of course my mind goes to "There's a cunt in my thyroid?" but that's not what she means. Then she says "Cancer" and I think of all the astrological Cancers I know in my life, and I know they're not in my thyroid.

Anyway, the way she means isn't there either. She's just really cautious. And running out of time, because I'm leaving here in just over three weeks. So get me the damn referrals already, because I'm outta here soon. Not soon enough, but soon. Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover me in Oregon.

It's stressful, all these appointments and pokes and prods (and leaving all the messages to remind my doctor to call me back). Now more blood and an endocrinologist (probably for a biopsy), in addition to the impending transvaginal ultrasound. Why do I do the tests? Because I hear the Lara voice, the one that says I should just check things out to be sure. And because Shirley had cancer when not much older than me, and I think of the woman I met recently whose husband had undiagnosed cancer and died in months. So if I didn't have things checked out, I'd worry and wonder.

Just as I worry and wonder about the source of my chocolate, so I need to give up all that isn't Fair Trade. Join me, friends! Boycott products of child slavery!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh can I play, too? How about "Cut the Crap!" Those are my favorite C-words of the day, and I'd love to use them on Cocksucker--my favorite student of all time. What an ass he is.
Anyhow, I agree it's good just to get all this stuff sussed out, and I'm sorry about what a pain it is.
I'll start scouring for child-friendly chocolate now so that you'll have something to look forward to.
Love,
JRo