Monday, May 08, 2006

REI bliss

Otter, the world's sweetest dog, quivers with excitement at the prospect of a walk or chasing a squirrel. Her muscles tense as the anticipation drives her wild.

This is me when thinking about REI.

Today I made it there in 12 minutes, a new record. The fates smiled upon me. I stopped at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf - just to be sure I had the stamina I needed.

I left my house at 7 pm, and they kicked me out when they closed at 9:00.

It was so beautiful, though I underestimated the cost and it made me flinch.

What did I get? Well, I'm so glad you asked. Every thing was on sale. I got a packtowel and face cloth (that superabsorbant, fast-drying fabric), a shirt, convertible pants (these both I left in Africa, which made me kick myself, though I am a size smaller now and those things were bugging me because they were too big, so I guess it's all good), camping food, a "travel sack" (light sleeping bag), bird ID cards, a travel alarm clock with thermometer (yes, I have one, but I always fear I'll forget to pack it at the last, because I use it regularly), matches & holder, sunscreen, and lip balm with a strap to hook onto my daypack.

No new binoculars or kayak or GPS or anything crazy like that. Just stuff I'll really use over the next few months (and this weekend).

I finally understand how people (such as my mother) get shopping addicted. I felt the thrill, the rush, the satisfaction.

The difference is maybe that I actually use all these things, they fit into my budget, they were all things I've been eyeing for some time and now are on good sale, and I'm cutting myself off soon.

Except, I have this 20% coupon (off a regular priced item) still, burning a hole in my pocket.

And, they will refund the difference in price of things I bought within the past couple weeks that just went on sale. I have to go back with my receipts. Sigh. Then AFTER THAT I'll cut myself off.

There are things I don't buy at REI, such as luggage usually. Daypacks - I need a new one (mine died a tragic death in New Orleans) - I'll wait for a sale at Target. I buy the cheap roller luggage on sale at Target - otherwise it costs a fortune at REI. I don't usually buy clothes at REI, though I find the convertible pants SO GREAT on excursions such as the birding. And my only long-sleeved shirt now is flannel, so a better one is good.

OK, yeah, yeah - I'm justifying my addiction. Whatever.

I spent my whole day arguing with kids who were justifying their drug and alcohol addictions. My kids are way effed up. This is why I hate teaching high school - I see their lives deteriorating. As I explained, infrequent moderate use doesn't kill anybody - but when they're using (and dealing) as heavily as most of them are, it hurts their bodies and hurts their minds. This was a really bad weekend for that and almost everybody was hurting today - very bad. It kills me.

5th period did, however, get me to 'fess up to some of my past, and now I just have to keep reminding Spitfire and Aztec Boy that I will NOT smoke out with them. Sometimes I think it's a pity I'm not their age - today they were asking me what I was like in school. I don't think Spitfire and I would be friends, so it's better that I'm an adult now and can castigate her as necessary. But some of the others - we would have had a lot of fun. Shrug. I don't want to relive my adolescence, and I'm certainly not going to be inappropriate, but they made me think about it today.

I'll just keep going back to REI and get my high there.

What I really want to do? I want to go kayaking in Baja again - that was such a great trip last year and I'd love to go back.

Maybe I should stick around here another year and work at a middle school - they teach 12 weeks then have a month off. Each of those could be a safari or a kayak trip, or all sorts of fun things. I wouldn't have the same great short day, but I'd still have my weekends off ... The problem is I keep thinking of things to do when I'm NOT teaching. I need a job that I do not just for the paycheck and REI/travel opportunities.

Well, time to go to sleep and fantasize about new gear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...what to do for a living besides teach. The mystery of the ages!
So glad you're having fun at REI--I'm just waiting for your next ackronymated adventure to have REI in it.
JRo