Thursday, May 18, 2006

very cool sites

This one is about the Congo - including a really cool on-line diary by Angelina Jolie and John Prendergast (whom I adore - one of the world's leading "African experts" - I heard him speak when I was in DC). I do like Angelina much for all her activism (and don't care about the personal details), but it's John who has an amazing understanding and fluency of explanation. Please listen to him - it's short and clear.

One of the best things I heard recently, on NPR speaking of an Ethiopian cameraman who recently died (I think - I missed that part), was how people in the West simplify Africa. People do it all the time, and the questions I get asked tend towards, "Why are things so messed up there?" Well, that's too simple a question to get a meaningful answer. And I'm not John.

And

No comments: