Wednesday, May 03, 2006

my students, my cholos

Here's why I love my kids:

For the one who left a bag of chocolate on my desk for me with a note about how he hopes I enjoy it. (Other teachers, they leave their doors unlocked and their purses get stolen. Me, I get chocolate.)

For Aztec Boy, who waits for me almost every morning to come tell me something. Piolin is going to the White House was the news today. He's the kid who if we were closer in age we would totally be friends - and he's a great way to start my mornings. He makes me feel connected.

For Good Girl, who isn't my student anymore but who came over to tell me her good news that she's going back to the comprehensive high school.

For the kid who brought me his DVD of Zoot Suit to borrow because I thought it sounded interesting.

For the kid who said, "I would never tag in this classroom. I respect you and I respect your space."

For all the times they make me laugh.

For all the times they show incredible sweetness without realizing it.

For all the times they show respect when I don't really deserve it.

For all the times they laugh at me without being mean.

For all the times they tell me things to keep me informed and cool.

At first it was rough, being a new teacher at this school midyear. But today, when I told the principal I ain't coming back, I realized how good things are for me now. I got me a reputation and have established enough relationships that things are cool with almost all the kids. I know how to talk to them, to deescalate their rage; I know how to get them to trust me. And now it happens pretty quickly - kids decide immediately that they like me now. Not all the kids of course, but the ones who need it most. I can sometimes watch their hostility melt before my eyes.

If I came back next year, it would be such an easy year in most ways.

But just when things get good, I leave.

On another note, my home instruction gangsta wasn't there when I went for our appointment, which screws me out of $100. Easy come, easy go. If they have a good reason I'll give a second chance, but then if they do it again I'm done. They need me more than I need them. And he's kind of a pain in the ass anyway. He was all about wanting to do home instruction until he graduates, and he thinks the homework I give is way cool (and he actually did it, for the first time ever in his life) - but he doesn't follow through, and he's lazy. Well, I ain't making it my problem.

1 comment:

Gummy said...

Chocolate! Not bad!!! =)

Ooo! Have you seen those chocolate chewy calcium supplements??? I got them, and they're nummy...like tootsie rolls...

The usual brand is the Viactiv ones, for $7 something. For the Target brand, it was $4 something. Go Target!!! ^_^