Monday, May 29, 2006

the first two boxes

... are in my storage unit. It looks larger once I start putting things in, though I'm sure that will change.

Once I threw away 100# of education articles and notes and the like last week, I could fit all my education books into two boxes. This is oh-so-exciting. Exciting enough to lead me to decide after nearly 2 decades to get rid of some of my poetry books. That's painful for me because it probably means dumping them off at Goodwill, where nobody may appreciate them. But, I'm oh-so-tired of packing and unpacking the same damn books. Sure, I look at them sometimes - but if I really miss them I'll just go buy them again.

I still have several boxes of books I want to read, but I am definitely culling the herd.

Have I mentioned that I hate my job and the prospect of going to it tomorrow and for 12 more days?

I had nostalgia for Jordan, so I fired up the breek and made me some yummy Arabic coffee thanks to Tami's gifting earlier.

So I had to remind myself the things I DON'T like about Jordan:
1. People smoke constantly and everywhere. hack, hack, hack

2. There is GREAT tea (with mint and sweetened nicely) and GREAT coffee and GREAT pastries and other sweets - but people don't mix 'em! Either you're drinking or you're eating. When I suggested combining the two, the looks I got - well, it was like I spit on the Koran or something!

3. I've already seen all the major tourist attractions.

4. I don't speak Arabic.

5. I apologize all the time for being American.

6. Ramadan - this is SO NOT FUN for me. People cranky, nothing to eat or drink during the day - sheesh!

7. Really hot in summer (it's miserable now, Mahmoud tells me - and it's around 100) and really cold in winter.

8. I don't think Mahmoud will ever be as fond of me as I am of him. He is a complete mystery to me. And that is not interesting. It's just annoying. But I don't have the right to be annoyed with him, and that makes it even worse.

9. It's not so cheap there. Especially not when compared to Africa or India or other places on my last trip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»