Friday, July 21, 2006

here!

I am here. In CC's Coffee House in Louisiana, enjoying the free wireless internet connection.

I got in last night about 8:30 ... that was driving on Wednesday from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. (losing two hours) and then Thursday from 6:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. That's 29 hours. That sucks. Then today I had to get back in my truck in order to drive into New Orleans, which is about an hour away to get to where I need to go.

Things here are not good - near the university, there are still abandoned vehicles and wrecked houses. The roads are in horrible shape (that's nothing new, I hear). Finding housing that meets my specifications will be difficult - especially the part about wanting off-street parking (there's such a shortage of on-street parking, and it's not super-safe, and my insurance will cost more if I have to park on-street).

OK, who just called me with an "unknown" number? Call again!

It is horrifying to me in what bad shape most of this area is. What is the excuse for this?

On the other hand, it's New Orleans! I drove around a bit on my way to look for housing, and it's still a great city. Lots of interesting places to explore and to eat at (I had Lebanese food today - I'm still bitter about that Alexandria, Egypt, eating experience).

So, I arrived safe and sound, and I'm on to new adventures!

1 comment:

bellygrrrl said...

I called today and hung up when I got your voice mail. Maybe I should just always leave a message.
Glad to hear you've arrived! The city sounds like it will be a real adventure...so when do you start w/ Habitat?
So, I needed you to help me PROCESS!!!! I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get you!