Monday, July 10, 2006

needles in my throat

Today was biopsy day. The doctor was really good - he was a real doctor, not a lab tech (like I kept getting in California), and he was clearly really experienced and educated - he was the first doctor I felt like I could really ask questions and he understood them and answered them fully.

Then he did the ultrasound and I got to see the nodules. The largest one, on the left, was about 3 cm x 2 cm. I use past tense because he sucked the fluid out of it - which I got to see - it was a bit bloody, mostly just cystic fluid. It'll probably fill again, but at least it's down for now. What is confusing is that the doctors I saw in CA said that the ultrasound there said I have four nodules, three with vasularity. Um, nothing like that on the ultrasound we saw today. Well, the endocrinologist I see on Friday will have all the info and we can sort it out.

After the ultrasound for location, he gave me a local anesthetic - which was a bit painful and I choked on it because some of the liquid got in my windpipe, which is really common especially because my cyst was right there. Then he took three samples - using a really fine needle to first suck out the cystic fluid, then another sample from the solid layer around it, and then from a small nodule nearby. All will be analyzed for any indication of cancer.

But he said that thyroid cysts are 99% benign - I didn't have any of the obvious, typical signs of cancer. So, good to hear.

Got several packets of papers from First Choice Law School - lots of things to fill out and return and figure out and all that. My student loan payments will be over $1,000/month after I graduate for 15 years. That is, of course, horrifying. But, it'll all work out, and I'll pay them off early I'm sure. AND the other good news is that they aren't figuring in my savings, so I can hang on to them to pay interest that accumulates as well as for fun summer/winter/spring breaks - and I could also have my own apartment and set it up. I'll end up borrowing more money, but I'll have higher quality of life, and that matters at my age. Twenty years ago - or even 10 years ago - it wouldn't have mattered much, but I've got higher standards now.

And, to celebrate, I'm buying my dream knives. I found the set for a great deal at a local knife store. This lets me leave my good knives here with Susan - and this way I'll have a block to store the new ones in (which are exactly the same, just one extra), which I've been wanting for years. I know I'm spoiling myself, but I cannot stand to live without good knives. I went in looking for a cleaver, like the kind Gail has, and the lady convinced me to the value of the Santoku, and I'm a convert. Since I don't chop meat bones, it seems the right choice.

So, enough cutting for awhile.

1 comment:

bellygrrrl said...

Mmm...neck biopsies and meat cleavers! Could a girl ask for more?