Monday, July 24, 2006

off Maple Street

I think I found a place to live! Of course I'm having all sorts of worries that it's not the PERFECT place - but it's .5 mile from school and right near great cafes and bookstores on Maple Street. And Whole Foods isn't far away.

There are cockroaches. The windows are small. The A/C are room units.

BUT, the rooms are large (and there's even an extra guest bedroom!), the floors are tile (cleaner!), and the kitchen has new appliances including gas stove and dishwasher and fridge (and new counters), and he'll provide a washer/dryer for us. There's not off-street parking, but there's a parking place for me right in front. The neighborhood is great and safe, and I like the owner's wife and daughter (they're from Bangladesh). There aren't a lot of cupboards in the kitchen, but there's a great-sized pantry. There's a ton of storage space - which will be very helpful to me if I try to sublet the room while I'm gone during summers. The owner gave me the keys so I'll go check it out again right now, and Tami will come over and check it out with me after work.

I must be crazy, because I'm not driving around looking at other places. It's not one of those quaint southern mansions all divided up, but it provides privacy and space. And the mansions are only a block away to look at.

If I like it and get the go-ahead from German roommate, owner will drive me to Sherwin-Williams to let me pick out whatever paints I want and he'll pay for them. This is like a dream come true FOR JENNY. Oh - and he said he'd even help me move in! He said he was holding out for somebody great, and he loved that I'm a teacher now law student.

OK, what questions do I need to ask?? What's important??

2 comments:

bellygrrrl said...

...and this place...was it by chance...at the END OF THE RAINBOW?!?! Move in! It's good!!

Gummy said...

They're letting you PAINT??? And paying for it??? TAKE IT! ha ha ha...

As long as you don't mind the cockroaches. Maybe with the paint and clean-up, they will scurry on away. =)

I'm debating...paint stuff is getting costly...should I do it??? Oy! BUT I WANT TO!!!

Oh! I borrowed Time Traveler's Wife from the library today - and finished it today too. I liked it! Nothing at all like Rain of Gold-ness, but still good. I KNEW that something was going to happen at that end, so I think that it drove me to keep reading because I wanted to see how it'd work out.

New Orleans...a mecca for foodies? Another place that I must go to, hee hee. =) That, and Toronto's dim sum, eh? =)