Monday, July 03, 2006

Selma and fireworks

Selma may be a small dog, but time and again on our travels she has shown herself fearless and ferocious.

Note to self: If I move to a war-torn area, Selma stays in Oregon.

The past couple days have been hard on her - she HATES FIREWORKS. I don't know when it developed, but it's a full-force phobia now. Last night she sat on my lap (a rare occurrence), sat on my feet when I went to the bathroom, and in bed used her paws to roll me over so that she could hide her face in my arms. If she were normally like this, I would find it highly aggravating. But, she's usually so independent that it's a novelty. Poor girl.

And she's had an active social calendar. Friday we went up to Portland and first visited Siva & Muthu, then stayed two nights with Amy & Stephen & the boys, then went to see Liz & Jeremy for a pre-wedding BBQ. Otter just collapses most of that time - spends it passed out in the middle of the gathering area, completely asleep and oblivious. Selma, however, is a bit higher-strung and cannot shirk her duties so. She's exhausted now from all the glad-pawing, and the fireworks keeping her awake in the night were not what she needed. Or is that me?

1 comment:

Gummy said...

Aw...Selma is brave, so her behavior is excused indefinitely! =) Even Superman has kryptonite, so Selma can have her fireworkphobia...and she still knows who she can turn to - that's right, who's her momma??? Heh heh. =)

I'd send some pig ears if I could, hee hee. =) Selma's the best dog I ever met - I wanna see her again!!! =)