Monday, June 25, 2007

contact

It's so wild to be in contact with people from my past. With changing my email, I send a little note out to everybody in my contacts list - just to be sure it's all still accurate, and to say hello.

It's too easy to fall out of contact with people.

One old high school friend forwarded my email on to another friend. We were quite close when young but drifted apart by middle school. I haven't seen her since graduation. It's just both comfortable and uncomfortable - both a close friend and a stranger. She had law school advice to offer, which is always helpful. Though, I will say - everybody who told me that law school would teach me how to think - that's BS as far as I've experienced thus far. Maybe I was just so fortunate to have done doctoral work with my advisor Doug, and he taught me how to think.

Another friend, this one from Riverside, wrote to tell of fertility heartbreaks. So very sad. I hope everything gets worked out for them.

Another, from about 8 years ago when working on my masters, wrote "but I thought I was the love of your life," and I'm not sure he's joking. We were so very, very close - enough to make me doubt my then-fiance. We were soulmate friends, but that was it.

I've been so blessed with knowing such really interesting and wonderful people throughout my life.

OK, it's really time to start packing for Nicaragua and see if I need to buy anything. I think not. What does it say about my life that I already own everything I need for a trip to nearly anywhere in the world?

No comments: