Thursday, June 21, 2007

protected head, hopefully blissful sleep

Funny how things work out. The day I went back to work I went to lunch with my boss & coworker, and walking back I saw a classmate drive off on his motorcycle. He said hi and I only knew who it was behind the helmet because of his "Virginia is for Lovers" T-shirt. He wears it all the time. He's not from Virginia - he's from Washington, and he's mostly Hawaiian. Just wears the t-shirt. And he didn't have a motorcycle before because I've given him rides. And he didn't use to say hi to me or anybody - he'd just walk on past - but I got him trained to acknowledge me by always making a big deal about it.

So when I got desperate about a helmet I remembered him driving off, and emailed if he had an idea - and even better, he has an extra helmet! He offered it to me for the whole summer, so I don't feel at all guilty for borrowing it for two days. Woo hoo! One thing off the list.

One thing added to the list: installing room a/c. It's not 110 degrees in my room only because my thermometer doesn't read that high - it's stuck at 99.5. So, I just dropped $130 at Lowe's for a room a/c.

Now, I went to great lengths to find an apartment with central a/c - it was very important to me to not have room a/c because of the noise. Yeah, yeah. I think I can sleep through it, and hopefully the timer will allow me to set it to go full-blast at about 9:00 pm to cool the room off for my sleep. If I leave the whole house a/c on, I wake up every time it kicks on. Not because it's loud or cold or anything - but EVEN IN MY SLEEP I cannot stand to waste electricity. To be cooling off all downstairs all night, just to keep my bedroom at a tolerable temperature (I have a hard time sleeping above 84), it wakes me up. And I can't decide - if it's 79 degrees outside and 84 degrees upstairs, do I keep that window open and run the a/c?

So, wish me luck installing this window unit. It will hopefully be drama-free, and hopefully I'll get a great night's sleep tonight and the next few nights - just in time to leave the country again and try to sleep where it's hot and muggy. Sigh.

No comments: