Monday, June 18, 2007

two blocks away

Last night about 8:30 pm, two blocks from my house, somebody was murdered.

That's all the information I have, because it was buried in the B section at the bottom of the page, in the same short article about another murder in another part of town. No info at all about the victim, etc.

It doesn't bother me so much about a murder happening not so far from me. What bothers me is how blase the whole thing is taken in stride. I heard no sirens, nothing. There was a lot of street noise last night - lots of people hanging out, chatting, car radios blaring. But surely that wouldn't have masked the sounds of gunshots and ambulance?

Is it somebody I've walked past and said "hi" to? The murder rate of black young males in this city - it's an epidemic and so very, very troubling.

No comments: