Thursday, June 21, 2007

Rahim is my favorite

Was just outside, and Rahim is definitely my favorite neighborhood kid. He gives me hugs. First time he ever saw me he walked right up and said, "I want to play with YOU" and took me by the hand. He's 4. (I just went outside again and when he saw me he seriously did a little dance.)

So, a/c impasse: window sill is rotten. It definitely won't hold a 50-pound unit - won't even hold a screw. So, I just made a desperate call to the landlord and asked him to send the Hot Honduran Jardinero to help me manana.

Was it all a ploy just to see him? Hmmm ... LOL. My whole attitude about that sort of thing has definitely changed. 20 years ago I would get huffy if a man held the door for me. Why? It seemed an embedded sexist gesture. Maybe it was, but so what? Now that I live in Louisiana, it's all about being nice and friendly and helpful. I hold the door for people, they hold the door for me. It's what we do. I smile and say thanks to the nice furniture delivery guy who hustled to hold the post office door for me today.

OK, time to go sit outside. Lots of neighborhood activity, and Hustler's brother is there looking mighty sharp with his hat. And matching grill. Maybe I sound like a snob, but the man's probably way good in bed.

No comments: