Tuesday, June 19, 2007

summertime and the livin is easy

Some movie I saw many, many years ago - I want to say with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn, in Florida - showed a hurricane knocking things out.

I post now because I'm not sure I'll have power for long, and I'm flashing back to that film. The rain is pounding, blown nearly horizontal. It comes in torrents, in buckets. The winds whip everything around. It's really an amazing sight, and I'm OH SO LUCKY to be inside my little creole cottage, watching from my window. Oh, there's lightning.

Nature is totally effing amazing. I'm all in love with our modern technology - dishwashers, laundry, blenders - all these joyful gadgets make my life gleeful. But nature - it can wipe it all out.

This is New Orleans, after all. We know nature's strength. I wasn't here for Katrina, of course, but I see the effects every single day.

It's just such a great reminder that I need to get my little hurricane preparedness kit together - all my important papers, etc. But I also need to get prepared for power outages in case I don't evacuate for some reason - water, radio & batteries, etc.

Ah, summer in New Orleans. What could be better? Between the heat & humidity (it was only 90 degrees when I checked, with humidity it "feels like" 96), the cockroaches, political corruption, and these tropical storms - really, is there anyplace else to be?

1 comment:

KA said...

Bogart and BACALL: Key Largo.