Monday, June 18, 2007

the rains have come

Laugh all you want, Tiff and friends ... the rains have come here. Some low front mixing with some high front - all I know is, flooding and thunder & lightning. Downpours soaking me. I brought work home so I can work here tomorrow instead of driving in and walking with my computer in the downpours. We were in Red Cross training when it started, with dark clouds suddenly taking over the sky.

Trust me, this place is Biblical. Plagues, floods, hurricanes, and sin - we got it all.

I love this place. In the way I would love an imperfect, rowdy child. The folds of love are in the faults.

So, I am now an officially trained shelter worker - I can get in a set up and handle a shelter now. Not that I want to. I mean, I want to if there's a need, but I don't want to because I don't want a disaster.

But there will of course be disasters here. There will be house fires and tornadoes and floods and tropical storms. It's New Orleans. So, I will also get training to drive the Red Cross vans, so I can cruise around the streets looking for survivors to feed. And for disaster assessment, so I can assess needs after a disaster and work with survivors to get what they need.

I know that my thyroid is out of whack when my mood swings include crying at the cheesy Red Cross training videos. I *must* quit sugar and caffeine. I must, I must. Unfortunately my sleep has been screwy and I've been relying upon those stimulants to get me through the day. The spirit is willing to be detoxed, but the body is oh so weak.

No comments: