Wednesday, December 06, 2006

advantages of being a public school teacher

Pay raises are automatic and based on experience and education qualifications. It's all clear and transparent.

Love it.

I'm trying to negotiate with Test Prep Dictator (I like her better now, but she is a dictator) for a raise - she's saying policy is not after just one class. I'm saying, well, that's not what I was told, and why not, since I got 100% excellence rating and they rave about me? I'm a professional, not some college kid trying to make a few extra bucks, and I believe I should be compensated accordingly.

The problem of course is that there's a pay ceiling - they're not going to pay me what I earn as a professional because it's not that kind of job. And I knew that when I took it. But I'll still work the angle.

Students are happy when I'm teaching; they complain about some other teachers. Students transferred into my class from other classes. I got all "excellent" ratings from all students. *I* don't even give excellent ratings to excellent professors. They're nicer than me. They said I'm the key factor in their success. I disagree, but if it's what they believe, then I should get paid for it.

So the question then is - will I still do it if I don't get a raise? Will I dig in my heels and refuse, only to come back groveling later when I'm bored or need money?

I don't much like free evenings, and especially not once I move and can't just walk over to campus for meetings and studying and working out.

It's not a bad job, and I found it usually enjoyable, but there was a moment a couple weeks back where I was like, "This job is bullshit. They are paying $1,300 per person to have their scores increase maybe a few points if they spend hours and hours working." So, let's see, I had 9 students at $1,300 each = $11,700. I made a total, including all the training, of about $1,300. Next time will be closer to $600 because no paid time for prep and no training.

It's a sham - them making $10K per class when the students only really see me. They're paying the director and the administration and the office staff - but they make only $8/hour and I'm sure director isn't rolling in cash. There's a huge profit margin somewhere. Of course there's a ton of effort put into preparing the materials - but my teachers edition sucked.

Which would all be fine if I were still fired up and ready to prostitute myself to do whatever it takes to get Dayton and the girls here.

But I'm not so fired up. I'm tired of doing the work of three people for the credit of none.

So the real question now is - will it be boring and depressing to me to sit at home in the evenings, or will I really relish the opportunity to read for fun? Will I really study more if I'm not working? Will that help my grades? Will I have more opportunity to volunteer doing some legal work?

Time is elastic - the busier I am, the more I get done. If I have time to squander meaninglessly, I will squander.

And money is elastic too. Will $600 improve the quality of my life? (More like $400 after taxes I guess.)

Speaking of time squandering, oh good, Twists Girl just emailed and we're going to lunch soon. Time to pack up now and head to campus after that - I have a list a mile long of things to do, and a 4:00 with my Torts prof.

This, now, where I don't have a million things to do - I like it. I like focusing. But I only like it for a week or two.

I guess if I don't work I could do other things like the birdwatching organization I just found, and other interests. Hm. It's just ... it means I don't have the income to prove that I can support Dayton and it screws us - but it wasn't really enough income anyway. I just don't know what to do (which he is WAY sick of hearing me say).

No comments: