Saturday, December 09, 2006

the struggle continues

Back many years ago in Oregon, I was pretty politically galvanized against the Oregon Citizens' Alliance. The brainchild of Lon Mabon, who had a political agenda to criminalize homosexuality, divorce, abortion (even birth control in their perfect world). He was extreme, but if people only saw one side of his message they might not realize how extreme - and OCA actually was in a position to wreak some political havoc.

I'm really not a Movement girl - I shy from groups and organizations because I will inevitably disagree. I'm a complicated mix of politics and ideologies, and no organization has ever satisfied me. I will only ever be a true believer of my strange brew of civil rights and fiscal conservatism and tolerance and love and accountability. And miscegenation. But the OCA was alarming enough that I jumped in feet-first - even pushing all my boundaries of decent human interaction - including cold calling and door-to-doors and Gay Pride kiss-ins in the mall.

They lost political momentum and I'd like to think I had a little part in that. That some elderly couple I sat at talked with had a change of heart and talked to their church friends.

Tonight was a little like that ... but not enough. I crashed Critical Resistance to hear Angela Davis speak, and the best part of the evening was watching elderly Black ministers all suited up walk in next to anarchists who haven't bathed in months. This is the heart of New Orleans. It took me back to the OCA struggle, once the Catholic church realized that OCA was about hatred and power rather than godliness and sin. There was this great march once, where the high up Catholic leadership of the region walked next to flaming dykes and fags (and yeah, I get to say that, because they were all wearing neon stickers proudly proclaiming).

I dig the grass roots, the crossing of communities, the alliances and the solidarities. That was the best part of Angela Davis's talk tonight, of uniting the South with the global south, of working with immigrant communities. Solidarity, my sisters and my brothers.

But some things I realized - first, Angela Davis's father was a teacher who gave it up because it was impossible to make a living and ran a gas station. I can relate. The other? She's 62 and she looks damn good. Living your conscience can reduce wrinkles.

No comments: