Saturday, December 02, 2006

"my white friend"

Today I went to study with K and we went out to lunch with another classmate I like, Twists Girl (she wears her hair in this funky twists). We found a cute little cheap fast healthy Mexican place - which, Jenny, is NOT ON THE LIST of places we'll never return to.

K was saying, "Yeah, I was talking to my boyfriend and I told him something about you and he said, "Who?" and I was like, you know, my white friend and he was like, oh, yeah, now I know who you mean."

I'm the white friend.

Once again, much like last year's Mah Jong, I am the token white friend.

That's pretty darn funny.

Today was pretty darn unproductive. I got to the library early because the neighbor's radio was coming through the walls (and I know he wasn't trying to be loud at all) and the alarm went off when somebody tried to go out the emergency exit. When K got there she was feeling all over the place and not prepared enough to do a practice exam, but I finally got her to and then she felt even worse - so then we went to see the professor and we were right about almost everything, so we both were feeling better. That was the most productive time, once I convinced the professor I really didn't want to borrow My Cousin Vinnie from him. (It's a great law movie, he says.)

But then we went to lunch and then people started talking to us (the 3Ls were really funny though and did set my mind a bit at ease) and we got nothing else done. K wants to do a whole test tomorrow and then go over it, but I don't really want to go back to school, and I don't want to get too tired of it all before the actual test Monday at 2:00.

I thought I was wasting all this time because I'm not focused every minute, but I see the people at the library and they're not getting more work than me done. So why not enjoy the peace of my home with ready cold water and snacks and couch? I'll only go back to library to study if I don't want to pay for heat. Because after a week of being tempted to use my A/C, it's really cold again. Like, time to dig out winter clothes and hat and gloves.

The really funny 3L who is all about entertainment was talking about reasons NOT to be in a study group, and today made me realize I made the right choice. K and I are pretty good about working together, and she's quick and clever, but it was still a lot of wasted time for me.

Plus, the more I stay away from other people, the less likely I get brought into any drama. I'm polite to everybody and nobody bugs atrociously except stalker girl, but there are only a handful of people at school who have my phone number in their cell, and that's ok. I don't always handle drama well - sometimes I try to fix it and sometimes I get into the middle of it if I'm outraged - so it's just better to stay out. Twist Girl agrees with K that there are lots of very racist students at school - people who move if they sit down, who give dirty looks, etc. So if I actually saw that being done or overheard somebody being stupid about that, I would have to kick their ass right there.

Better I stay out of it. That would be a battery - an intentionally harmful contact.

Today was more about socializing than studying - which is the reverse of what it should be. But I still have 46 hours until my first final, so I hope I'm doing ok.

No comments: