Friday, December 01, 2006

Fred's coming to NYC!

How exciting! He just got his visa and he'll fly on the 9th to a UN conference.

Yeah, he's a big deal - he was in Amsterdam last week for some other big multinational shindig. I would so vote for him for president of any country. Well, except Liberia, since I could never become a citizen there because I'm white. Which, maybe he would change that law.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way to see him. It's not cheap to fly there, and what a hassle to get around and all that for just a few hours probably. And yeah, I need to be studying! I wonder if I could figure out a way to get him here. He'd like it here.

I wish I had connections and could help get him in to a university somewhere here. There was war when he was of college age and no functioning universities. But he's whip-smart. And I don't think he'd find most universities challenging enough now, because of his life experiences. "Sorry, professor, I'll miss class again because I'm the expert on child soldiers in West Africa and the UN needs to see me again." Maybe if he got a job in a major urban center and was able to do a part-technology-based program at a prestigious school it would work.

Yeah, I really needed one more thing to wipe out time during finals. But, who knows when he'll ever be on this continent again, or when I'll be in Liberia, or we can meet anywhere in between.

I am really not sleeping, and it's making me crazy. I was awake at 2 am to hear construction on a nearby street. They were probably digging more potholes, just for fun.

No comments: