Sunday, December 03, 2006

on the subject

And while I'm on the subject of law students, there are two types who are NOT allowed to speak to me right now.

1. The 3L's I spoke with yesterday who all sailed into those scarce A's and made it on Law Review their first year without much effort. One, my writing fellow, wears ratty t-shirts everywhere and geeky glasses and looks like she should be working at a Quiki Mart. The other, who's gained about 20 pounds since the beginning of the year and has a healthy set of jowls (his words), can give a whole litany of gay-nasty legal jokes. "Constitutionally, that calls for a probing inquiry," for example.

Anyway, they're not allowed to speak because this is all very easy to them. They need to shut the hell up. I still like them, but wait until January before you smile at me again.

2. Graduates and law students at schools less prestigious than mine. This woman whose house I might move into was giving me advice, and the whole time all I could think was, "Yeah yeah, your school's LSAT score is 10 full points below my school's LSAT score, and you couldn't even get into my school, so what the hell do you know about my exams?"

It's a nice gesture, how everybody cares when I say I have exams. But if they didn't go to one of the top tier schools, they need to shut the hell up.

No comments: