Thursday, December 14, 2006

final final

What is today? My final final!

What is tomorrow? Departure day! It'll be a couple hour flight to NYC, then battling through the traffic to get to the other airport, then about 6.5 hours to London and 6.5 from there to Senegal.

Last night I started packing, but need to do laundry before I can do much more. I might tonight while dining with Tami and Ahmed - a nearby Middle Eastern restaurant has a laundromat in the back. I had hoped to wake up early and inspired and charge out at the world with my laundry ... but alas, that is not my feeling today.

All these terms and concepts of CrimLaw are jumbled in my head ... conspiracy, attempt, solicitation, accomplice ... complete and voluntary renunciation ... for the purpose of promoting or facilitating the crime ... criminal homicide - murder is purposeful (result is the conscious object) or knowing (practically certain of the result) or the MPC felony-murder, manslaughter is reckless (conscious disregard for substantial and unjustifiable risk; grossly deviant from the normal person standard of care) or would be murder but for reasonable extreme emotional disturbance, criminal negligence (should have known of s/u risk - failure to perceives is grossly deviant from reasonable person standard of care) ... and on and on. He really does want THE EXACT WORDS. OK, if I'm actually practicing the law - then I will use THE EXACT WORDS but I will have them there to refer to and I will memorize the relevant ones! Why memorize all this garbage? It's not even a real penal code - I'll have to learn the real one for whatever jurisdiction I'm in, so this won't help me.

Yeah, I'm just bitter because I didn't start memorizing it months ago when he told us to. Right now I'm praying for the B but not feeling real strong. The only thing in my favor is that I process quickly - nobody could ever really finish one of his exams, so I'll have a little edge there that I type like a demon if fully caffeinated.

OK, this is crazy - the neighbor is running the A/C all the damn time. It's actually a little chilly out now - just OPEN A WINDOW! The problem - in addition to the annoyance I always feel when people disregard the environment for stupid reasons and waste limited resources - is that the A/C unit is RIGHT by my back door - which is the only thing I can open for some fresh air (the front door has no screen, and there are lots of flying friends out there who want to suck my blood - until I realized I couldn't leave the front door open, I spent my evenings here chasing dozens of mosquitos each evening, and would still wake up with lots of bites - and, of course, there is no window). Again, I say, he has been really a great neighbor - very considerate of my studying and everything else, and he'll bring in my mail and all that while I'm gone, and very friendly. I couldn't ask for a better neighbor - I'm not complaining about him. It's just too close.

I have several old email addresses that I rarely check, but I did this morning. Lots of junk, and then a name I recognized - a guy I hooked up with almost 7 years ago. He has LONG since been deleted from my contacts list.

First message (from most recent): Hi, sorry for that first email, my hotmail is adding addresses randomly. Hope all is well with you!

Third message (to me and a Kendra): Hi baby, hope you're doing well. Those four days stretches are a bear. Since I didn't hear from you yesterday you must have had a bad day at work - give me a call when you get a chance. Love ya, Nick"

Second message (from Kendra): Who is [my old email address] and why is she getting the same email?

I like this Kendra person. She's sharp and gets to it. And at first I thought, "What, he's ccing me to show he's got a new girl after all these years?" but no, she's a vet like him and from the tone of the email sounds like a long-time buddy. (Because I know how he emails more-than-buddies. I know it well.)

Nick bugged after awhile - we were all about magical moments in special locations, but when we tried to recapture in suburbia it was no good. We had a mild infatuation with each other which took us far too long to acknowledge - he's the man who introduced me to South Park. I thought about him last week for the first time in probably years.

OK, time to hit this day full-force.

No comments: