Friday, March 02, 2007

backpacking in New Orleans

I thought of Rick today ("Mr. Tiff") when I got an unsympathetic "pack it yourself" look. One time Rick and another teacher killed a caribou and packed it out on their backs. They were the real Eskimos there.

So I asked my classmate who's coming camping tomorrow how he's getting to the pickup spot. "Oh, we'll probably walk. We're not far away." "Neither am I, it's just ..." What I didn't want to say aloud is, I'm taking a couple heavy books with me. I'm going camping to read?

His neighbor suggested where I could park my car and walk over - and his suggestion was actually further than my apartment. "Yeah, I can walk, it's just ..."

"You'll start the backpacking part early." And he used a perfect tone to use with me - nothing annoying or patronizing about it. But still, a little part of me wanted to snap, "You need to shave your neck!"

I know he's right and I'm not sure when exactly I became SUCH a city girl as to think that for a weekend trip I can't carry all my gear. Yeah, that birding book is real heavy, but so what. Of course for a weekend isn't much less gear than for a week - I'm taking tent, sleeping bags, camer,a flashlight, binoculars, etc. And reading material. But I did stop myself from tossing in the laptop to get a bit more work done on my brief.

I added up my credits and time in school again and realized that I have to attend summer school in order to be able to get the Masters without increasing time at school. So, that's first priority though it's about the last thing I really want to do. But, if somebody were to call me up right now and offer me a great paying job for the whole summer, I'd do it and skip the masters. I already have one masters - why would I want another? Because I think I can learn interesting things in the international development program.

Even though the guy interviewing me today said I travel more than the 182nd Airborne Division. He's funny, that one.

Oh, and at this firm that won't hire me this year, the first woman to become a lawyer in Louisiana still works there. She's like 93 years old (maybe he was exaggerating) and still walks up the five flights of stairs to her office every day. That's awesome. "So what I hear you saying," I said, "Is that a career at your firm is a promise of longevity and health. You had me at king cake."

And no, there's no king cake in my pack.

Which, Jenny, I very much appreciate your offer. And I had a brilliant idea as I was walking today - how about a wedding king cake? It seems perfect for me, New Orleans, and the wedding kegger. Does anybody have to even ask what my wedding colors are? Purple green and gold, of course - which would only possibly be rivaled by black and gold if Dayton gets here and the Saints are doing so well again. We could be married in jerseys.

Although, I'm pretty upset that Joe Horn was released. That's a sad loss.

1 comment:

tiff said...

fyi: when they were carrying the caribou back in their packs...ben fell backwards and looked like a turtle stuck on his shell...this story still gets brought up at social functions. rick misses hunting like that...it was true work, but an awesome outcome!

hugs,
tiff:)