Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sabine Day 2

Early morning pick-up and we went to the Quarter. Found the National Park Service (419 Decatur) with a lovely courtyard and displays, and went on their free walking tour, which was quite good (though it avoided all talk of pirates and voodoo queens). Walked up the Moonwalk over to Jackson Square, saw some good old architecture on Dumaine, learned lots about the Mississippi River, the Battle of New Orleans and other history, and ended up at St. Louis Cemetery No. 1.

We rushed over to Bennachin's to meet Ayanna for lunch. Ay and I have our system now - she gets the black-eyed peas and I get the spinach (both with rice and plantains) and we split 'em to share. Ah, food friends. I think Mike and Sabine were underwhelmed with the restaurant, but at least I have Ayanna. Jen - it is the new Templo, but not gross. :)

Then we headed over back to that cemetery because I wanted to see Marie Laveau's tomb. No voodoo here, though this guy there who kept following us and trying to guilt me into talking to him with really stupid, obnoxious cliches - he just about got a hex from me. When I'm walking away from you, do not follow me and shout after because you will NEVER get my attention unless it is to cause you serious bodily injury.

I left them then, with studying on my mind - but my headache returned, making me pretty pathetic. Pain reliever can take the edge off, but studying is still too painful. Once I'm over this flu, no more excuses.

Tomorrow - off to Lafitte for swamp viewing and Belle Chasse for more good eats. I really do want to like crawfish - and I find them quite tasty - but I'm with Tami - too gross. Besides, every time I eat shellfish I feel ill later. I'll try to stick with the fish tomorrow.

So, Dayton update: he plans to leave for Liberia on the 28th or 30th. Everybody send him good vibes, that everything goes smoothly. I think he's nervous and excited both, and he's been real fed up with Ghana for awhile - his life has just really been on hold there. Once he's settled there and has an address and a phone, I will FINALLY fax him the visa application forms and he'll mail them back to me and then the process will finally be started.

1 comment:

Gummy said...

*good vibes* bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz * Heh heh heh...

Mmm. I have yet to have a muffaleto (I killed the spelling, I know) thing. =)