Monday, March 05, 2007

drive-by

I have a major assignment for my Legal Research and Writing class due soon, and I really should be finished with it. I need to buckle down and make serious effort. I'm a little stumped, looking for a mystery case.

So, as soon as I got home from class, I:
a. started researching cases
b. read the cases I printed earlier
c. revised the argument section of the brief
d. drove past the house I just posted about.

Duh.

It's one mile to Central Grocery, home of the muffuletta (not the best place to take vegetarians to, but the olive salad is awesome) and to nearby Cafe du Monde. No more pesky parking problems if I can walk there. And on the way? Angeli's, which is Angelina & Brad's favorite place and they live very near. THEY WOULD BE MY NEIGHBORS. Somebody told me this weekend exactly where their house is - he knew their street address, but I forgot it. What kind of stalker am I?

Anyway, the location is way sweet - it's about two blocks from houses I would never be able to afford in the Quarter. BUT, the houses have no off-street parking and it's a busy area. Quite busy and the driving is a little confusing right there. Very lively with some very yum eats around. So, if I were taking it seriously, I would have to go back often at different times of day and night to see how quiet/loud it is and if I feel comfortable with who's around. Also the inside of course makes a huge difference in how I feel about it - if it's a sound sanctuary then there's no problem. So, it's still a possibility, depending on my gut (which grew significantly over the weekend). The people I saw going into and out of the houses were people I'd be comfortable being near. And it appeared that the majority of people were Black hanging out in front of houses and at the restaurants & grocery stores, and there were also White people around, and I saw several bicyclists. I just want an integrated neighborhood - not all anything.

And those are "decorative wooden brackets," those things that so seduce me. Here are some nice pics of some, and interesting info about shotguns in NOLA.

So, no hurry on the house stuff. When I drove there I saw a lot of apparently abandoned houses a little further away from the Quarter - maybe those would be even better for me, but I get overwhelmed with the idea of full reconstruction. This project, where the work was started and it's currently inhabitable and the current owners have gotten a bid on all the work that needs to be done - that's more possible for me. Though if I had a partner who knew about construction, it could be sweet. Susan sent me pics of the flooring she redid in her kitchen, and I just keep thinking, "I could do that!"

But, what I really need is a big ass sign. If I get a job here this summer, that would be a sign. If the current owners meet and love me and are willing to be really flexible, that would be a sign.

OK, fun is over. Time to buckle down. No, really.

1 comment:

tiff said...

Geesh...if you buy that beautiful art piece...we just might have to come visit...rick and i have been to new orleans long ago and actually had way to many of those Hurricane drinks...which ultimately led us to coffee and beignets at cafe du monde the next morning...if you are really that close...hmmm...we might have to make our road trip sooner than later.
hugs,
tiff:)