Monday, March 05, 2007

interview #2

I think I might actually have a shot at that job, the one with the evil, unnamed energy corporation. Both interviewers raved about their job, which I find pretty funny. "Look, I'm here. I'm a 1L not in the top 10% of my class, making me virtually unemployable, and you're interviewing me. What are the chances you need to convince me that your job is the BEST EVER?" But the main guy said three times that they pay him "very good money." Rock on. Pay me good money and I'm there. $25-$30/hour isn't as good as I made teaching, but it doesn't suck.

I guess it'll be a long few weeks until I hear about them both. But it's cool because it puts any other plans on hold - I don't have to be job-seeking while I'm waiting.

I didn't realize how many people applied who didn't get any interviews, so I guess I should be grateful for that. I think of my friend Philippe of many years ago who was looking for a university teaching job after finishing his PhD. As he said, "It takes just one. One yes is all I want."

And from this weekend, my classmate's girlfriend said she knows so many people who went to much worse schools than mine and who did very poorly, and yet they have really good jobs. So, my future's looking bright. Maybe not this summer so much, but eventually I will have a paycheck again, and the sun will shine on my bank accounts again.

And, I'm seriously reconsidering the masters in international development. I have this nagging feeling that it's not the best use of my time and resources. Such as the very limited resource in my life, patience.

Especially without chocolate. Man, it's rough. I did have two smores Saturday night, now I'm back on the wagon - and it's a rough, rocky wagon. Sucks.

No comments: