Friday, March 30, 2007

But can that sled dog do the Heimlich?

Owner says dog saved her life by doing the Heimlich.

Gotta love dogs. Even selfish little Selma (come on, you know I love my dog, but her self-preservation instinct is strong) has sometimes been remarkable - screaming at me to get out of the water before getting stuck in mud flat (people die that way), letting me know when I'm about to run my face into a porcupine, letting me know general danger (bears, angry moose, and wild turkeys - ok, maybe that was about her tummy), all sorts of things. But my favorite still is when she dragged a baby out of danger by the diaper. If I hadn't seen it, I would never believe it.

Would she do the Heimlich? I could see her using it as an excuse to jump on my chest if I hadn't shared whatever I was eating. She does know that she's a dog, but that doesn't prevent her from having trained Susan's last roommate to cook Selma's favorite food for Selma (who knew Selma was all about the curries?).

If I can raise human children to have the same level of self-esteem as my dog, they will be ok.

1 comment:

tiff said...

DEFINITELY! Dogs and Kids!!!!

Selma is a kick ass dog!