Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sabine Day 1

Sabine says there's a Muppet that says, "I came for the food."

That is our friend Sabine, to a T.

Fortunately, this is the place to come.

After spending the morning treating my hair to harsh chemicals and a hacking I'm skeptical of, I met Sabine and Mike at the airport. Somehow I missed the turn I know and ended up in Harahan. Hark, yonder crawfish climbeth into boiling pots. I took a sharp turn into a random seafood place and the next thing I know we had a huge plastic platter of crawfish before us.

Bite, suck - something like that. They look like roaches to me, and I could only manage a few. Yes, they are tasty tasty, but I try not to eat too many insects.

Sabine was in heaven. I'm a little worried that I can't top that experience for her in the next week, so I thought I'd really do a blow-out, so drove them to the French Quarter the long way down St. Charles (beautiful houses and beads in huge oak trees) and up to Cafe du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait. There was hardly any powdered sugar on the beignets, so I wasn't *really* breaking my vow.

Then we went to Sav-A-Center where only Sabine can find things like colored popping corn and 10 pound tubs of chittlins (which she didn't buy, going instead for the Tasso Ham and Andouille Sausage) and sweet potato pancake mix.

What we do the next seven days, I have no idea. That was the extent of my NOLA repertoire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my aunt used to say that crawfish are cousins to a roach (they are in the same line/branch) and I say that anything multi-legged and antennaed are bugs and don't need to be eaten. I don't know how people eat those things. And I grew up in New Orleans!! gross