Sunday, March 25, 2007

Habitat week

This has been my week for reconnecting with folks I met through my Habitat volunteering - Kim, Norwood, and now Keith & Netanya.

I took Sabine and Mike over to Chalmette for the Fiesta Islenos. It was ok - the paella wasn't great, though Sabine said the alligator sausage was quite good. We wandered around a bit - not much to see, but good music. I wandered to some ship models and learned a TON about oyster and shrimp boats - there were some oldtimers, a guy about my age (it pains me to say, as he looked firmly middle-aged), and a young kid, and they all do it regularly so I learned about the process. It was fascinating and worth the drive just for that. Then there was a guy selling cypress deck furniture and I fell in love with the porch swings and rockers which were really reasonably priced; got his card and once I'm settled I'll have to indulge in one. So, definitely a productive day.

Sabine and Mike (especially him) really appreciated the drive through upper and lower 9th ward and over into St. Bernard Parish. It's like the tour buses through there - there's a fine line between genuine compassion and wanting to understand vs. the voyeurism of tragedy. They definitely fall to the first side of the line. Things aren't as bad as when I first came a year ago and Tami drove me around, but they definitely don't look so great.

We went by Musicians' Village and it was really rewarding after the efforts there to see kids playing on the front porches! All those houses I worked on - finished! And others built up already. Very exciting.

But the best was driving past Keith and Netanya's house. Keith and I lost touch when he got real busy with student teaching and I with law school. I really meant to go over and help him with rebuilding their house but stuff happens. So I drove around until I saw his truck (didn't even recognize the house anymore) and knocked on the FEMA trailer door. Last time I was there, they'd moved to Metairie, so I was surprised when Netanya opened the door with the CUTEST 2-month-old Naomi.

Keith wasn't around but Netanya and I briefly caught up and she showed us the house - SO MUCH WORK has been done! He just got the sheetrock up! How exciting! And as much as I find the structural work fascinating, this is when I'm the most helpful - I can learn to tape, and I can help with painting and flooring for sure. Keith always was amazed at the exactness of my measurements, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out time to go help over there.

I know I have such fond memories of my time there and the people I met, but I really, really like the neighborhood. I love it that when I drive past everybody smiles and waves - kids playing outside, women standing talking, old men sitting on their porches. I pulled up and asked a neighbor who waved a question and the next thing I knew I was over checking out his great- great-grandnephew.

"Neighborhood" in New Orleans is usually a small area, and its makeup can shift dramatically from one block to the next. When Keith & Netanya live, they love it and feel safe, know all the homeowners, etc. Over a few blocks, maybe not so much - but they're only two blocks from Musicians' Village.

So, I'm going to ask them about housing there - either to rent or to buy. I would love for them to be my neighbors, and it's only 6 miles to school then which is a doable commute. (I wish I could move to Slidell, but 35 miles one way commute,and over that bridge, would KILL ME.) It feels like home there - and not just because Netanya is such a great cook and so welcoming. But it's a real neighborhood, where everybody knows each other and the kids all play outside together and everybody's looking out for each other. Where I can call out and ask her to keep an eye on the kids as I run to the store and does she need anything?

And then I could buy that porchswing/rocker and life would be complete.

2 comments:

tiff said...

a porch swing...now that would be loverly! and someone to watch after the kids...that would definitely be a treat too!

you have so many choices...it must be exciting.
hugs,
tiff:)

Gummy said...

A yes...a porch swing makes it all homey...=)