Sunday, March 11, 2007

they had me at decorative wooden bracket

I loved the houses - I'm so screwed. One of them is fine, and those people won't go anywhere until they die. The other though - it needs SO MUCH WORK. I can't tell how much is foundational and how much is surface. But see, that's like a dream to me - to have a house just like I want it. And they're huge inside - three times the space I have now, easily. They don't have the arches that I love but they have pocket doors.

The one isn't even habitable now. So I'd be paying rent here plus paying a mortgage until I could move in - the bathroom and kitchen have to be totally redone, and studs replaced on an outside wall, and closets need to be put in. The floors need to be sanded down and refinished - they're beautiful wood floors, but they need work. And just a lot of work - like the mantels and trim need to be painted (and the walls, desperately), but they've been painted over 100+ years so really need to have paint removed first. And outside paint. And, and, and.

I just don't think I can make it work financially. Which is too bad - I really like the couple selling (they got in over their heads, because they're trying to fix up where they live, too), and the people currently living there. Miss Dee liked me, she told them, and that says a lot - her six greatgrandchildren were visiting and she was able to keep them in line. And Mr. Lloyd is retired and looks out for the whole neighborhood - which would be way sweet for me. Parking can be a real problem.

Sigh. I'm very, very torn.

Norwood's with Kim this weekend in Alabama (whom I'll go visit next weekend), but as soon as he's back I'll ask him to go see it with me and tell me what he thinks.

The real problem is that it would take at least $13,000 to make it rentable again ... but I want so much more than that. I want it NICE. I want central air and heat, a washer and dryer (probably in the kitchen - it's big enough), and a shower (now it's those sweet old bathtubs which I would hate to throw out, but I would need me a shower). Maybe even a dishwasher. All that stuff would cost major bank, especially for installation. I want closets put in (there are none - this is historic property). I want nice cabinets and countertops and appliances and fixtures. Not top of the line, but quality. And all that takes money, money, money - and I have none coming in.

Sigh.

No comments: