Monday, March 05, 2007

hold your breath and cross your fingers for me

This is EXTREMELY preliminary discussion ... but maybe this shotgun house will be mine. Actually this one plus the one next door, with two units per house. It needs some extensive renovation - but look at it. OK, look at it with my eyes. I see those green shutters and the cool wood on the rafters (I don't know the word for it, but I'm totally in love with it) and the colored glass and sunburst pattern at the top. It's an embodiment of what I love about New Orleans. And yes, elderly Black man sitting on the stoop included in the purchase price.

The reason I'm actually allowing myself to be a little excited is that the people selling it are willing to owner-finance which would save $$ (Yes, a real estate lawyer hired by me would definitely be involved) and could probably transfer their insurance to me. Plus, the rental income once fixed up (currently inhabited) would more than cover the mortgage so I'd be living there for much less than I pay now. And, it's three blocks from French Quarter and about six blocks from my favorite restaurant.

Anyway, I just heard back from the owners - they sent pics - and now I hope to go see the houses. What excites me is that they are good people - I google searched 'em and they were volunteers here doing what I did, got married here, bought the property here last year. Don't know if they moved here, but I'll find out.

It's not the perfect house for me - I want a big garden and a porch swing and all that. But would it do for me for 2.5 years until I am gainfully employed and can upgrade? That I'll find out.

OK, exhale now, but keep those fingers crossed for me. I'm happier as a homeowner, and I would love to fix up an old New Orleans house.

So Jenny, get your paintbrushes warmed up.

1 comment:

TobyMums said...

awesome, awesome, awesome! We'd toootally come visit. -LST