Thursday, January 25, 2007

one point

For my A-, my only almost-good grade, if I had gotten one point less it would have been a B+.

Kind of kills the joy.

I convinced M, the A boy, to study with me. Maybe it'll rub off on me. But, I hope his two divorces don't rub off on me. I want the good grades without the marital failures.

I did also see how almost arbitrary the whole grading thing is, and how every stupid little point matters. You have to bring up everything and say it well and thoroughly. It's effing stressful and so unreal, to have EVERYTHING ride on that three-hour exam.

But, I guess that's because that's what it's like in court.

The thing is, I don't want to do litigation. I want to do contracts and that sort of thing. Less stress, no performance.

Shrug. The prof said he'd give me a good recommendation, AND he promised me today he won't retire before I finish law school (and he's already 72 years old). He's not a great prof, but he knows freakin everybody in maritime law, and his connections are worth gold. He gave me names today and told me to drop his name.

OK, so I see how I could have done better - and a lot of it is that I needed to be better prepared some (though, I did memorize the entire Model Penal Code in about 24 hours, though I wish I had done it the 14 weeks before that). I'm here and I need to stop dragging my feet - I need to really jump in and do my best by their standards.

But not tonight.

No comments: