Wednesday, January 03, 2007

the tailor the jeweler the cabinet maker

Life in West Africa is always an adventure for a girl like me, that is to say a girl with big hips. That's quite a compliment in Wolof, to be 'hippy'. I of course still cringe every time somebody uses it to describe me. The next time a man tells me I have the beauty of a Senegalese woman I may not be polite. Because it was explained to me that it's not about my complexion, being a Senegalese beauty, it's about having meat on my bones. I even notice with the children; the girls are fed more than the scrawny boys.

Anyway, the marriage proposals fly in at an alarming rate, and a low point was the jeweler coming into my bedroom while I was napping to discuss our future. I was less than pleasant.

And I just got email from a guy on the refugee camp I met almost a year and a half ago, reminding me of his love for me.

Sigh.

No comments: