Sunday, January 14, 2007

Turkish Spinach and Lentil Soup

I'm going to start posting the things I'm cooking. Since I can now label posts and (they say) sort that way, then I can easily find the recipes later.

Turkish Spinach and Lentil Soup - from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, p. 71
*extremely yummilicious.

1 cup dried lentils
5 c. vegetable stock/water
1 teaspoon salt

1/4 c. olive oil
2 c. chopped onions
3 pressed garlic cloves
1/4 t. cayenne
2 bay leaves
1/2 c. raw bulghur
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley (I use dried)
2 c. chopped tomatoes (a can of diced)
1/4 c. tomato paste (I think I used whole small can)
pinch of dried rosemary (I used more)
salt & pepper

2 cups stemmed, cleaned, and coarsely chopped fresh spinach (today I'm using some that I froze a few months ago - time to clear out the freezer)
chopped fresh parsley

Rinse lentils. Bring them to boil in stock. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.

Heat olive oil in heavy soup pot. Saute the onions until translucent. Add garlic, cayenne, bay leaves, and raw bulghur. Stir on medium heat until onion and bulghur are lightly browned.

Mix in parsley and tomatoes for a bit, then stir in tomato paste.

Pour lentils and liquid into the soup pot wiht the onions and bulghur. Simmer 15 minutes. Add rosemary, salt, pepper to taste. If lentils & bulghur have absorbed too much liquid, add more stock, water, or tomato juice. Remove bay leaves.

Just before serving, stire in spinach and let it wilt in the hot soup. Garnish with more fresh parsley and serve with crusty bread.

No comments: