Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Slok survivor

Slok is a regional airways here in West Africa. It is known for being a dangerous mode of transportation and is now based out of The Gambia because after three fatal crashes last year it can no longer be based in Nigeria. What does it say about a corporation that it is too crappy to be Nigerian? It says a lot.

But I survived. I went to Ghana for five days, and that was better for everybody.

I couldn't reach Dayton before I went because his phone had been stolen and the cell towers are so bad there anyway that I couldn't get through to anybody to give him messages. I did get through to Fred in Liberia who told me to go anyway and he was right.

The thing about being with Dayton is he takes really good care of me. He's not Mr. Romance and he doesn't always say and do what and when I want, but he is absolutely awesome about feeding me and hauling water and all those other things. My hero immediately finds me a toilet when my stomach rebels against holding anything in. I said it was embarrassing and he said No, this is what I must do, taking care of you is my responsibility.

Anyway, since he didn't know I was coming there was nobody at the airport to meet me and I paid an exorbitant 40 dollars to get to camp. But the ride was the best I ever had in Ghana - the roads are in MUCH better shape now and it was the nicest taxi I ever took and the best driver. Things are looking good in Ghana - lots of new construction, and it's clean and all that. It was really nice to see.

So I got to Dayton's house and there was a lock on the door and the neighbors I knew weren't there. Somebody called for CeCe and she came around the corner. When she saw me she shrieked and sprinted to me, literally jumping into my arms and almost knocking me over. Later she asked if I would bring her home with me, her father an optional accompaniment, but that's another story.

She took me over to the basketball court where he was playing his OldTimers game. CeCe said he'd be happy to see me and she was right.

It was a good long weekend overall, though we had a few big fights. Mostly we sat around and talked. I was really lazy and let them take care of me, mostly because I didn't have the strength to argue with them about it. It's a life of leisure, and it was really good to see them both.

And now I'm ready to blow this continent and head back to the Stateside stress.

No comments: