Sunday, January 07, 2007

to move or not to move?

Every time I park my truck in the neighbor's driveway and walk around the car in the driveway right in front of my apartment (the neighbor claimed it first), every time I have to go to the laundromat, every time I see dirty dishes in my sink because there's no dishwasher, every time I walk past the neighboring abandoned houses and smell the black mold, every time my undergrad neighbors make lots of noise - I want to move.

So I found a place about 5 miles away in a nice residential district. Holly, the homeowner, plans to leave the country for 6 months-1 year and is looking for somebody to rent her house. It's a nice house with recently refinished floors and painted, about the size of my house in Riverside, with a huge backyard and washer dryer, dishwasher, plenty of parking, real neighbors in occupied houses, etc. And, it's cheaper than my current situation. I keep trolling, looking around for something else, and it's all MORE expensive than where I am now.

The only downside is that I would then have to drive to campus and figure out parking. And she'd want a minimum 6-month commitment.

Anyway, I just went to chat with her again, and now she's not sure when she's leaving the country because she can't really leave until she has a job lined up where she's going. Which I totally understand and appreciate her honesty. And she's fine with me moving in anytime.

I just have to figure out if I really want to live with somebody for a while. Somebody who isn't Dayton. After my last roommate, I'm pretty cautious about it, though Holly definitely doesn't seem unpleasant like the last one. I'm just not thrilled about sharing a bathroom or living with animals that aren't Selma or any of that. It's just not nearly as appealing as it was 20 years ago for me, to have a roommate.

Her parents are an interesting cross-cultural pair (Norwegian and Dominican), and she definitely encourages me with Dayton. The bad news - she has a friend who brought her fiance here from Dominican Republic on a fiance visa and it took almost 2 years.

TWO YEARS. That totally sucks. I don't want to wait that long for Dayton to be here. I brought it up with her to say that we are applying for the visa and he may get here before I move out and is it cool for us both to live there for a bit and she was fine with that.

So, I'll probably move; I'm just not sure when.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm checking with my brother about a place he and his wife ALMOST moved into right before Big K. He said that it might be worth looking into...not too much damage, excellent price, good landlord and close to school of choice. I'll forward info asap.-yer old pal from AK