Friday, January 19, 2007

metabolism test

So, I took a metabolism test this morning, which is sitting with this device in your mouth with your nose clamped shut for 10 minutes. Not very comfortable.

It wasn't really that accurate of a test because it's supposed to be RESTING metabolic rate, and I had just practically ran there for 10 minutes and only rested a few minutes before doing it. So, my real RMR is probably significantly lower than the number I was given.

That said, my RMR according to this test was a good 300 calores LOWER than all those computer programs that give you a general idea of what your RMR is based on averages. I am NOT crazy - it IS difficult for me to lose weight. My RMR is more like somebody of my height who weighs less than 120 pounds - which, I really don't. This also means that I burn calories slower than other people when exercising.

So here's the real dilemma. If I ever were to be at my "target" weight, I would have to consume less than 1200 calories a day and exercise regularly to maintain that weight. Do I really want to spend the rest of my life picking at plain steamed vegetables and sugar-free, fat-free yogurt?

No. I don't want a life without chocolate bourbon pecan pie and king cakes. I'm not saying I want to eat those things every day (well, want to yes, but I don't) (I never have junkfood in my house - I always go out for it - which may be why I'm a social eater). But when I hear these tales of people who NEVER can eat bread or sweets again, I have to wonder about the quality of life. Never another enchilada? No rice? What kind of life is that? How would I ever feel not hungry?

So I got dealt a bad hand here - I have a real slow metabolism and a real high appetite. And now I have evidence of this. The question is more why I don't weigh 300 pounds than why I don't weigh 130 pounds.

2 comments:

bellygrrrl said...

No better time to grow tired of po' boys!
Now there's just that little problem of beingets...

bellygrrrl said...

P.S. Another awesome thing about the self-defense instructor was when she said, "Hips are a woman's power. Don't let the fashion magazines fool you! They're the cradle of life and when you move from your hips, you make your punches stronger."
And just like that it didn't seem like such a bad thing to have missed the gym everyday this week.