Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dwight

Dwight was not happy to be doing brake tag inspections on this very hot day, and he took it out on the people honking behind me.

If I'd know how bad Dwight's day was going, I would have gussied myself up for the brake tag. I would have put myself into flirt mode. Instead, I had to do a little impromptu which worked well enough to get me a babe and a smile.

Here's what I find on brake tags on-line (and what Dwight scolded me about):
"BRAKE TAG - An inspection sticker on your car, proof that you've passed the required annual safety inspection. It encompasses several areas of your car (e.g., horn, wipers, etc.) but is primarily concerned with the integrity of your brakes. Given the fact that New Orleans is surrounded by various lakes, rivers and canals, a bad set of brakes could mean that you might end up at the bottom of one of those bodies of water at the very least. Throughout New Orleans (although I'm not sure about other parts of Louisiana), the inspection sticker is called a "brake tag". If it's expired and you get pulled over, you're guaranteed to get a ticket. (Believe me, I know.)"

The reality is that it has NOTHING to do with brakes. Reverse lights, right and left turn signals, horn. That was it, plus $33 ($8 delinquent fee on the $25 fee). Yeah, because living in New Orleans without honking my horn ALL THE FREAKIN TIME definitely makes me stand out as a foreigner.

So, honestly, what looked like a crappy day beginning when Carolyn came to tell about the intent to tow signs all over my truck, ended up being better than it could have been. Dwight tells me it's like a $165 ticket for driving without a brake tag. So, I'm just way lucky I never got caught until today, and then there was no ticket on my truck. I'll just hope they don't tow it away later for yet something else I don't know about.

Yes, Tami did tell me about this when I first moved here, but I was CERTAIN that DMV would tell me what I needed to do. Dwight scoffs at me. I am scoffed and scolded, but I got off cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brake tags used to involve brakes... i remember being in the car while my mom got the brake tag (when we lived in Orleans parish) and i flew off the back seat (no seat belts back in the day) because they used to make you stop suddenly... but i guess they've done away with that task.