Wednesday, July 18, 2007

helper demons



"Where you goin?" Cam [left] interrogated me.
"You sound like my daddy. You my daddy? My daddy be a lot taller than you!" I retorted. (Yes, I actually talk like this. I may not be exactly a good role model.)

I went to find my insurance card, which I need for the silly brake tag thing this afternoon. OF course I haven't printed out one since 2003, and I don't know why I thought I did.

Next thing I know, they're scampering into my truck, so I put 'em to work emptying out the back seat. Walking behind them as they carried the stuff, they were just too darn cute.

But they're little demons, too. They did not believe me that I didn't want them in my house. So as I said, "I gotta go inside now, and I'm closing the door with you on the outside," an old woman walked past with a cane. "How you doin?" I asked in my best NOLA.

She didn't buy that I'm a hardened local, and as soon as I closed the door I could hear her yelling at the boys. "She wants to go inside without y'alls asses and you need to stop pestering her and --"

What do you know - they're not on my porch waiting for my reappearance.

So, I'm not a yeller or a beater, but seriously, I love my neighborhood. (Cam's mother and I both just intervened in their harassing the neighbor's dogs - he now knows he doesn't have a chance of getting away with jack with me.) I'm just really not thrilled with the cops now, who have several streets blocked off all around while they're filming something. Really? I can't get to my house? Of course it wasn't a real problem - Ay was driving me home and I could walk a few blocks through their barrier, but WTF?

And now of course I can't get on-line to print out my insurance card. I'm feeling a little frustrated with my day. The Tangoing Mennonite said it's all a sign I should sit and meditate, but just because he's fasting doesn't make him my guru.

And, it's apparently raining men. I just got email from a guy back in Cali offering me a place to stay, a ride from the airport, whatever I want/need. And projecting a kindness upon me I don't possess. He had asked about D and I'd told him, and I'm thinking he's wanting to earn one of those Rebound Boy t-shirts as well. Maybe I'll buy 'em by the case.

Hmm. I think I'm complicating my life. Maybe I should be doing a man fast.

No comments: