Monday, July 23, 2007

some friends I saw

I didn't get pics of everybody, especially not those who I was with just a month ago. But here are some highlights of my visiting.

First was seeing Rene, who really didn't want his picture taken and is protesting here and still talking with his hands which I find highly entertaining. Rene was my student the year before last, and now he's graduated and off to a wonderful future. Hopefully someday I don't feel like I need to keep showing up and kicking his ass to guarantee that wonderful future. Anytime we see each other, it's always heartbreaking to leave because I don't know if I'll ever see him again. Things happen. But the sweetest thing was when I gave him a new magnet with a saying (I think this one was about living life to the fullest) he promptly put it in his wallet next to the one I gave him last year, which he said inspired him to jump onto the field with Ronaldinho and almost get arrested. Maybe I'm not such a good influence.


Here are Aida and Selin, the Armenian and the Turk. Look, I can help bridge cultural differences that countries war over! Haha. This day Aida took us to a lovely multiuse development that her husband has developed, which was fascinating to see and hear about, and I enjoyed getting to know Ali. And when Selin brought me home, it was our one chance to catch up alone, and she talked so fast to get it all in that I couldn't hardly catch up. But the one thing I did catch is that I feel so really, really guilty for not being a better friend and not being available for her this past year or even past two years.


Baba John and Lily, Selin's nephew and daughter, are just about the cutest kids I've ever known. They are so incredibly sweet to each other. They were in the living room, both laying on the floor just talking away. And they shared and played together SO WELL and were so kind to each other. Love watching them. Baba John got me to dance and throw him around, so I got a little aerobic workout on my visit.

Um, wow, so I really didn't take many pics for all I did. But that's ok. Short blog posts.

No comments: