Saturday, May 05, 2007

African stew recipe

Here's where I got the recipe.

And here are my changes:

Put in a Maggi cube - that's the magic of West African cooking and it was missing here.

a couple chicken breasts chopped up (small pieces good)
1/3 c. peanut oil
1 chopped large onion
a can of diced tomatoes
about 3 cupts of water (here - Magi cube)
a good squirt of tomato paste (1/8 cup?)
Tony Chachere's and cayenne pepper
1/3 c. peanut butter (maybe just a slight amount more but only very slightly)
1 large sweet potato would be sufficient
4 carrots thickly sliced
7-8 okra pods sliced
1 red pepper and 1 anaheim pepper

**
Brown the chicken in the peanut oil, then add the onion and stir until golden. Add sweet potatoes and tomatoes and tomato paste and water and let it simmer well for about 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes starting to get soft. Then add the spices and the vegetables in order, letting each simmer about 5 minutes before adding the next one.

Eat with rice.

Yummilicious. Four stars.

HOLY CRAP. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF TERMITES GETTING IN UNDERNEATH MY FRONT DOOR AND I CAN'T STOP THEM. They're totally swarming me and it's so disgusting - they're not just swarming the apartment but actually me physically. I'm not talking a few - I can handle that. But they are rushing in faster than I can kill them and the boundary I put up doesn't even seem to slow 'em. At least I think they're termites - they have those nasty wings that shed, though they're significantly smaller than I know well. We got major swarm my first trip to Ghana, and those bastards were HUGE.

This sucks. At least I know it will pass - and it's not cockroaches. Blech.

No comments: