Friday, May 18, 2007

first walk

I got to thinking about fufu and next thing I knew, I was out the door walking. There I was at Bennachin's where I had a lovely spinach & okra soup with fufu, then I kept on walking. A sheriff's car outside my friend Angelina's house - interesting. (It's on the way, people, I'm not stalking!)

"Somehow" ended up at Cafe du Monde, then wandered around on back home.

All on foot, all without the hassles of parking limits, etc. Wore out a flip flop, but an enjoyable evening stroll. I'm not real fond of the tourists in the Quarter, but on the edges it's awesome. Made a cook at Port of Call double over in laughter even.

There's a church on Esplanade near Villere - Episcopal I think - that keeps a list of all the murders in New Orleans. Big sign. I counted 71 names for 2007. What a shame, what a shame. The vast majority are young males, and how can we not realize this is a CRISIS? People shooting at each other is not a symbol that things are ok in our society!

The church also had free English lessons (sign in Spanish), so I might give a call and see if they need a volunteer - it's a quick bike ride from my house and I could help out sometimes.

1 comment:

tiff said...

"my friend Angelina..." oh you are cracking me up...and you are not stalking...hmmmm :)

next we will be reading about you in the STAR or better yet National Enquirer...hee:)