Sunday, May 20, 2007

sperm donor

So the ladies yesterday told me that if I want to have a baby I better do it fast, and all I need is a man who passes the medical tests. Every one says the one thing they absolutely don't regret in their lives is having children, and many of their friends (several of them were from the same high school class of 1976 - the one just down the street from me) who didn't have children really regret it now.

"But I don't want to raise a child alone," I protested.
"There's no guarantee that even under the best of partner circumstances that you won't end up raising your children alone. That's what happened to me."
"But it's hard work raising a child alone," I protested again.
"Family helps -"
"I don't have family," I interrupted.
"You have us, and sisterhood is even better. Have a damn baby!"

Now, I'm not desperate to have a baby. I would like to and I know that fertility window is slamming shut (despite all the anecdotes from yesterday, and V's, "If all your lady parts are still working, why not?"), but it's not like I'm consumed with that desire.

But now they got me thinking, and Ernest may just fit the bill because grills aren't hereditary. Hustler is Dodo's grandma (they're in the house on the other side of Neighborwoman), and she's the one I always see out working on cars, and she is a dyke so my gay-dar still works just fine. Her brother was visiting today and he was really nice - but here's the kicker: the man has 10 children. He passes all fertility tests. And while he might be a man-ho, all 10 are from two wives - which just makes him damn fertile but not immoral. I just need "Too Boring for Jerry Springer" standard really.

So no, I didn't give him a survey to fill out about family medical history and all that, but it's all got me thinking.

Then there was also very cool lesbian from yesterday who's adopting as soon as her house is fixed up, and she's 44. If only I could bat for that team I'd be happy.

Sheryl Crow just adopted and she's 45. I think she and M are on to something there. Sure, they'll be old when their kids graduate high school, but not geriatric.

Well, next time Ernest visits, depending on my cycle ...

No comments: