Sunday, May 20, 2007

the best grilled catfish ...

... I've ever eaten is two blocks away. It's an always-bustling place so I didn't really want to go, but nothing else is so close. It was awesome.

While waiting I had an interesting conversation with a drunk disinherited Mississippian. He did have his teeth, but still not my type. His friends were a little embarrassed about his behavior but he ignored them. "You look smart," he said. "Is that so?" "Well, at least you white folks always think you're smart." "So, you're saying you think all white folks are the same?" "Don't be making what I say sound all racial." "I'm clarifying - are we all the same in your mind?" "No, no, I don't mean it like that." "Oh, because that's what it sounds like."

I don't care how drunk a person is - I still get to call 'em on their shit. And when I walked out a woman I hadn't noticed said, "I bet you're glad to get away from him. Talk talk talk." "He's ok, he just wanted free legal advice and I'm not a lawyer yet." She was really friendly and made me realize that she was keeping an eye on the whole situation just in case he got out of control - as were most of the many people in there. He was a cultural lesson - or at least purported to be, telling me how black folks are and how white folks are. Apparently it's pretty simple, so once Randy gets his word out a bunch of sociologists will be out of work.

Anyway, this place also sells fresh seafood, so now I know where to go for fresh trout, catfish, etc. (like shrimp - when hell freezes over, since I don't like shrimp and nothing's going to make me like it). I have a really hard time buying fish at the grocery stores here - it always looks pretty nasty and is way expensive. But here it's not too pricey, and looked really good and fresh.

Oh, and the part funny to me - woman in front of me ordered a turkey neck. That was it - just a turkey neck.

Only in New Orleans. And Hawaii, apparently, since Stephen loves his turkey necks. That and the Saints may actually lure the Yamasakis here to visit some day.

No comments: