Saturday, May 05, 2007

moving?

In many ways, the apartment I went to go see is GREAT. It has all the appliances I want - even a dishwasher - and a back yard and an upstairs bedroom with two front rooms plus a laundry area and a big kitchen (with enough counter space) and bath. It gets natural light, but not so much that it was boiling hot. The neighborhood seemed somewhat integrated, and lots of old folks and young children stoop sitting. A real neighborhood. The new neighbor (it's a double) does curriculum development and lives alone - so she's probably quiet. It's location is bike-able from City Park (but let's be real - I've lived walk-able distance from Audubon Park for almost a year and have NEVER gone) and it's near some fun restaurants and even the Degas House (yes, where the artist lived). It's not far from the Quarter (1 mile exactly to the African restaurant I love so much) - so I'd be even closer to my friends Brad and Angelina when they're in town. They could bike to my house from theirs. Since we're such good friends and hang out all the time.

Oh, and the neighbor has two dogs. Neighbor dogs are the best - all the benefits of security and walking buddies, but none of the poop duties, food expense, or bye-bye guilt.

Now the downsides: no off-street parking. Five miles from school (I know that doesn't sound far, but I've been walking to school for the past year and do love not driving). High ceilings and old windows which means A/C bill will be HIGH. It's not all new and sparkly - it was built in the 1800's and shows it. It doesn't seem dirty or run-down, but it's not all modern and streamlined clean. He said to never go down the stairs in wool socks - they're worn down and very slick. (There's a sturdy banister on them.) There used to be a drug house down the street, though they moved out.

He said he'd ask the tenants how much the electricity runs and call me. My neighbor pays about $300/month for electric - he's way wasteful (running it when it's 70 degrees outside, running it all day long when he's not here), but I know my electricity will dramatically increase because of the high ceilings and three times larger space - but anyplace I'm going to move to will have that problem - I want more space, and I guess I'm willing to pay for it. So, the rent there is about $75 more per month, but once I figure in increased electricity and gas for driving, it'll be significantly more. But is that worth it to me, to be able to bicycle into the Quarter? To be able to walk to Jazz Fest? To have space to breathe again? To have an excuse to spend money at Bed, Bath and Beyond?

This will not be my frugal summer, that has been decided.

So, I'll go drive past there a couple more times today. He's showing it tomorrow, so I want to make a decision before that and hopefully get it. He has another place opening up at the end of the month, but it doesn't have that upstairs bedroom, which I really like. In theory I like shotguns, but the reality is that I like my bedroom separated off. Maybe part of my problem with sleeping lately is that I don't have separate sleep space.

***
Drove past. Even better this time - neighbors waved at me. I'll try to go back tonight right before I go to bed just to see.

No comments: