Friday, May 18, 2007

the right tool

I don't remember the first person to tell me this, but it's SO true: having the right tool for the job makes all the difference.

Sure, I'm Alaskan, so I can jerry-rig pretty well (though I'm not to the standard of being able to "Eskimo it").

But seriously - right tool makes me happy. I was hanging curtain rods and the smaller piece got stuck inside the larger piece, and I just reached for my needle-nose pliers and problem solved.

But there is a second part. Take the right tool OFF THE LADDER before moving said ladder. I never have learned this well, despite hundreds of reminders during Habitat work. Just now I almost gave myself a concussion or impaled hammer pull end in my skull or screwdriver through my neck.

But I didn't, and that's all that really matters, and curtains in front two rooms are officially hung. I think they might not be thick enough to really block sunlight in the very front room, but I think it'll be fine - and I can already tell a huge difference in temp.

When Sabine last moved her first email to me was, "I need you here to help hang everything - you have the tools and the know-how." I am the hanging girl and proud of it. It's not difficult of course, it just gets a little tedious. And there's the issue of hollow door anchors and plaster anchors and all that, though I like to keep it as simple as possible. So today I'll get the racks from my last place to hang here; this weekend I'll get towel racks and the like to clutter the bathroom.

Unpacking looked to be overwhelming, but I've made good headway and should finish early this weekend; today I should also be able to finish all clear-out from old place after work (and then an exciting trip to Lowe's - I love this shit).

I think I'll store my bike inside, to avoid wet and rust - plus, there's glass on the path to the backyard and don't want to deal with that - I just have to see if I can easily lift that heavy bastard onto a wall hook.

And now, to work. Woo hoo.

1 comment:

tiff said...

ah...yes..remembering the shit on top of the ladder...that is always a hard one for me...nails...hammer...battery operated drill...you name it...it has all come to the ground...short of missing my head.

however i am super good at hitting the hammer on my thumb...shit!