Sunday, May 06, 2007

fresh starts

As I think about moving, I have so many fantabulous ideas.

I'll start taking cello lessons again.

I'll start quilting again - lots of natural light. (I'd start knitting again, but when the hell do I want anything knitted here?)

Why, golly, I'll start up painting as a hobby - large canvasses with broad strokes and bright colors.

No, my apartment is NOT that large. The front room is probably 12 x 12, then the next room 13 x 12, then the laundry area room, then the kitchen, then bedroom upstairs.

It just SEEMS like SO MUCH SPACE - and so much fun to be had there.

And all that money I had saved up to bring Dayton here? I'm using it to decorate. Dammit. It won't keep me warm at night, but it'll make me feel at home - something that heretofore only he's been able to make me feel. But that's over now. Forever.

Beautiful Indian screen instead of love; functional and lovely bench with storage instead of family; classy armoire instead of sex. Surely it's a fair trade-off, all of that.

The only problem is my execution. Sometimes I have great ideas but can't make it manifest as I pictured.

Oh - and the backyard I can do anything I want with. Oh, hope there's a water hook-up back there for some gardening. I guess I have to buy all my dirt - I'd be too concerned about Katrina toxicity. So I'll put on a layer of plastic and box it in and fill in topsoil - I want to do 12" deep because I do root vegs too in winter. Hm. That's a lot of topsoil in bags. I guess I'll start small - maybe I could grow Edamame here - it did fantabulously in Riverside. Maybe I could get some starts in too, such as tomatoes. Just one healthy plant does me good. And okra. And ... oh my I'm getting excited. So much work to do!

First, finals. Then, packing. Then, moving in. Then, traveling. Then, coming back and really moving in. Woo hoo!

No comments: